Chair of Materials Science and Testing of Polymers
Mission and Vision
- We train students at a high academic level with regard to polymer physics and polymer testing
- We perform world-class research in the fields of physics, materials science, testing and applications of polymers
- We develop and optimize innovative materials, components and testing methodologies
- We aim at significantly contributing to technical progress and sustainable development
- We cooperate and study with research institutes and companies worldwide
We are smart and reliable – in everything we do!
Assoz.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.mont. Katharina Resch-Fauster (in Karenz)
Head of SMART Group
+43 3842 402 - 2105
Profil (Pure) | Profil (MUOnline) | CV
Specialties: sustainable energy production and storage, green engineering, polymers and composites based on renewable
We play an active role in the education of students in the fields of Polymer Engineering and Science, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Recycling Technology, and Industrial Process Engineering. Our basic classes provide comprehensive and sound scientific knowledge in the fields of polymer physics and polymer testing. Elective courses cover topics such as material selection, material and energy efficiency, component testing as well as ecological aspects of polymer engineering. Please click on the link on the right hand side to find details to all of our courses.
Our research philosophy encourages faculty, post-docs, professionals, and students from different science and engineering disciplines to work in a collaborative environment to meet our current research goals. Our researchers conduct world-class research in the fields of physics, materials science, testing and applications of polymeric materials. SMART and RELIABLE describe our mindset but also comprise our main fields of expertise. Please click on the links below to find out more.
- Polymer Competence Center Leoben (A)
- Technical University Vienna
Institute for Lightweight Design and Structural Biomechanics
- AIT Austrian Institute of Technology (A)
Leichtmetall Kompetenzzentrum Ranshofen
- Imperial College London (GB)
Department of Mech. Eng.
- Technical University Munich (D)
Chair Carbon Composites
- Polytecnico di Milano (I)
Dipartimento di Chimica
- Academy of Sciences Brno (CZ)
Institute of Physics of Materials
- BMW AG (D)
- Robert Bosch GmbH (D)
- ContiTech Industrial Rubber Kft (H)
- Dow Europe GmbH (CH)
- EMS Chemie AG (CH)
- FACC AG (A)
- Getzner Werkstoffe GmbH (A)
- MAHLE Filtersysteme GmbH (A)
- Poloplast GmbH Co KG (A)
- Semperit Technische Produkte GmbH (A)
- SKF Sealing Solutions Austria GmbH (A)
- Volkswagen AG (D)
For a list of current publications please follow the link on the right side.
Our testing laboratories consist of microscopic, spectroscopic, polymer-physical and mechanical characterization facilities, which contain the latest version of standard as well as some specialized equipment complemented by various sample preparation, sample conditioning and deformation analysis devices.
The laboratories are used to establish the basic molecular and microstructure as well as the thermal, thermo-mechanical and mechanical macroscopic properties of polymers and composites. Our expertise comprises:
- Morphology and structure analysis on various length-scales
- Generation of comprehensive polymer-physical property profiles
- Mechanical and component testing on various time-scales
For details as to our devices please adhere to the equipment list of the department
Equipmentlist Polymer Engineering and Science Leoben
Contact & Directions
Institute of Materials Science and Testing of Polymers
Otto Glöckel-Straße 2
+43 3842 402 2101
2nd floor, straight ahead of the elevator.